Care before and after anti-aging face and neck surgery
Proper preparation and care after surgery is as important as the surgery itself. Following the right indications will reduce discomfort, side effects, scars, as well as minimize the risk of unwanted consequences after surgery.
Above everything: Follow your surgeon’s recommendations strictly!
Below are some tips from Medical Avenue coordinators about proper care after a facelift.
What to know before your anti-aging surgery
- What examinations should I undergo before a facelift (anti-aging procedure)?
- On the day of the operation at the clinic, you will have all the necessary tests: a general blood test, ECG, and other tests as prescribed by the doctor. This is done for the safety of patients to assess the state of their health and the possibility of surgery. As well as for the right use of anesthesia drugs.
- Can I eat before surgery?
- 3 days before surgery, it is recommended to avoid salty, spicy food to reduce the risk of swelling.
- On the day of the operation it is necessary to stop eating food and liquids 8 hours before anesthesia (including water, gum, lollipops, etc.).
- It is recommended to stop smoking and taking alcohol 2-3 weeks before surgery.
- Can I take vitamins and medicines before plastic surgery?
- Let us know about all the medications, vitamins and supplements you take on a daily basis.
- 2 weeks before the operation you should temporarily stop taking medicines and food complements (multivitamins, antibiotics, etc.), herbal medicines.
- If you need to take prescribed (mandatory) medicines, you should report it to the clinic in advance.
- The day of surgery, patients who are constantly taking medical drugs for hypertension or diabetes should have them in the morning with a little water.
- Diabetes drugs are different, be sure to check with your surgeon about the possibility of withhold the medications before surgery.
- If you have asthma, you need to bring with you the inhaler and spray you use everyday.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you had an allergic reaction to any medications or injections in the past.
- Do I have to take off my nail polish before surgery?
- Depending on the requirements of the plastic surgery clinics, you will be asked to wipe the varnish on the index fingers of both hands or on all fingers. During the operation, sensors will be used to measure the pulse and monitor breathing. If the nails are painted, especially the gel lacquer indicators of the sensor are not accurate or do not come out at all.
- Do I need to remove piercings and accessories before the operation?
- Remove all accessories and piercings (the presence of metal accessories can cause burns when using certain types of medical equipment during surgery).
- Can I wear contact lenses before surgery?
- Remove contact lenses (you can use glasses if necessary).
What to do after (post surgery care) facelift
- How many days do I need to stay at the clinic after a facelift procedure?
- Usually, if the patient is doing well, hospitalization is not required after thread lifting, lipofilling or minor operations using sedative anesthesia. Being said that, after extensive operations, general anesthesia and if it’s necessary to monitor the patient’s condition, it will be necessary to stay in the clinic for 1-3 days.
- What to do with the swelling after the plastic surgery procedure?
- You should take all medications prescribed by your doctor after surgery (usually anesthetic, antibiotic to relieve inflammation and swelling, and a medication to protect your stomach).
- In some cases, you will be advised to wear an elastic support bandage and patches, which also serve as a means to prevent swelling.
- Immediately after the operation and for 2-3 days it is recommended to apply a cold compress to reduce the swelling.
- In Korea, it is recommended to drink pumpkin juice to relieve swelling.
- If severe swelling appears, the doctor may prescribe you an additional injection or medication to relieve swelling.
- For all Medical Avenue customers, all plastic surgery clinics provide free procedures for relieving swelling and bruising.
- Is it necessary to take medication after surgery?
- It is necessary to take all medications and use ointments prescribed by the doctor after surgery. This will help you to heal quickly and recover from surgery.
- Can I exercise after surgery?
- Doctors recommend resting after anesthesia. Some dizziness and nausea is not uncommon.
- Light walks are ok during the next 7 to 10 days after the operation.
- After a month, light exercise, jogging, yoga are allowed.
Possible inconveniences after facelift surgery:
- What inconveniences can there be after a facelift or other anti-aging procedure?
- Swelling and bruising: depending on each person’s physiological features, both might last for a long period. Most patients fully recover after 2 to 4 weeks.
- Pain: doctors will prescribe you painkillers after surgery.
- Loss of sensitivity: It may occur after anesthetic. Sensitivity should gradually return.
- Drain tubes: In some cases, surgical drains will be installed in order to prevent fluid from accumulating at the surgery areas. Your doctor should remove them the next day or the second day after surgery.
- Difficulties moving hands (especially after armpit incision). Gradually, your hands’ movement will return to normal.
- Sore throat: Anesthesia uses a tube that can slightly damage the throat. Sore throats usually go away a week later.
- When will the scars disappear after plastic surgery?
- Depending on the location of the operation and the physiological features of each person, scars should fade away after a month or two. Gradually, they will become the color of your skin and won’t be visible. At Medical Avenue, we recommend having laser procedures after the surgery (we can provide them for free in some cases).
It is necessary to strictly follow the doctor’s advice after surgery and take all prescribed medications to reduce the risk of side effects and inconveniences. Medical Avenue is not responsible for the outcome of any plastic surgery procedure at any point. This information should be taken as a reference and it is NOT meant to be a medical advice of any kind. The clinic and doctor of your choice should provide you additional information directly related to your case. Our medical coordinators are alway available to assist you!
Пластическая хирургия в Южной Корее стала популярным направлением для иностранных пациентов.
Клиника VIEW– это клиника пластической хирургии общего профиля, основанная в 2005 году.
За последние 5 лет число иностранных пациентов в Южной Корее возросло более чем на 60% в год.
- Coronavirus in Korea
- Preparation and post-operative care for anti-aging and facelift
- Preparation and post-operative care after mammoplasty
This post is also available in: Русский (Russian)