Care before and after breast plastic surgery!
For mammoplasty it is important not only to create an aesthetic shape of the breast, but also to preserve its functions and health. It is very important to choose a reliable clinic with experienced surgeons and a good safety system, aware of all the risks and possible difficulties after surgery.
Below you can see some tips from Medical Avenue coordinators for mammoplasty preparation and care.
Following these guidelines, as well as your surgeon’s prescriptions, will help you reduce discomfort, side effects, scars, and minimize the risk of unwanted consequences after surgery.
Find out more tips from our coordinators for your mammoplasty
Pre surgery (Breast Plastic Surgery)
- What examinations to have before mammoplasty?
- On the day of the operation at the clinic, you will have all the necessary tests: a general blood test, ECG, and other tests as prescribed by the doctor. This is done for the safety of patients to assess the state of their health and the possibility of surgery. As well as for the right use of anesthesia drugs.
- Is it possible to eat before surgery?
- On the day of the operation it is necessary to stop eating food and liquids 8 hours before anesthesia (including water, gum, lollipops, etc.).
- It is recommended to stop smoking and taking alcohol 2-3 weeks before surgery.
- Can I take vitamins and medicines before plastic surgery?
- Let us know about all the medications, vitamins and supplements you take on a daily basis.
- 2 weeks before the operation you should temporarily stop taking medicines and food complements (multivitamins, antibiotics, etc.), herbal medicines.
- If you need to take prescribed (mandatory) medicines, you should report it to the clinic in advance.
- The day of surgery, patients who are constantly taking medical drugs for hypertension or diabetes should have them in the morning with a little water.
- Diabetes drugs are different, be sure to check with your surgeon about the possibility of withhold the medications before surgery.
- If you have asthma, you need to bring with you the inhaler and spray you use everyday.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you had an allergic reaction to any medications or injections in the past.
- Do I have to take off my nail polish before surgery?
- Depending on the requirements of the plastic surgery clinics, you will be asked to wipe the varnish on the index fingers of both hands or on all fingers. During the operation, sensors will be used to measure the pulse and monitor breathing. If the nails are painted, especially the gel lacquer indicators of the sensor are not accurate or do not come out at all.
- Do I need to remove piercings and accessories before the operation?
- Remove all accessories and piercings (the presence of metal accessories can cause burns when using certain types of medical equipment during surgery).
- Can I wear contact lenses before surgery?
- Remove contact lenses (you can use glasses if necessary).
- How many days should I be in the clinic after mammoplasty?
- Usually after mammoplasty it is necessary to stay in the hospital for 1 day. In some cases doctors ask to monitor the patient’s condition, thus you will need to stay in the clinic for 1 to 3 days.
- Why wear compression underwear after a breast plastic surgery?
- In most cases, after mammoplasty (breast enlargement with implants, reduction, lift) patients are advised to wear an elastic supporting bandage or compression underwear. It fixes the implants and prevents their displacement and breast deformation. Compression underwear also helps to reduce swelling after surgery, contributes to the withdrawal of excess fluid, it improves circulation and prevent inflammation.
- How long should I wear compression underwear after mammoplasty?
- The duration of wearing compression underwear is determined individually for each patient. Usually the period goes from 1 to 2 months.
- Is it necessary to take medication after surgery?
- It is necessary to take all medications and use ointments prescribed by the doctor after surgery (usually antibiotic, painkillers). This will help to heal quickly and recover from surgery. After breast augmentation using implants, in some cases, doctors prescribe medications to prevent capsule contracture for 6-12 months.
- Can I exercise after surgery?
- After surgery, doctors recommend full rest, as you might experience dizziness and nausea after anesthesia.
- During the first 7-10 days after the operation you cannot lift your hands up above than 90 degrees. Try not to carry heavy objects.
- Light walks are allowed 7-10 days after the operation.
- After a month, light exercise, jogging, stretching are allowed, but it is necessary to avoid exercises on the chest muscles.
- When can I eat after surgery?
- Doctors usually allow to eat 5 to 6 hours after surgery in the absence of dizziness and nausea.
Possible inconveniences after surgery:
- What inconveniences can occur after a breast plastic surgery procedure?
- Swelling and bruising: depending on the physiological features of each person, both might last for a long period. Most patients fully recover after 2 to 4 weeks.
- Pain: doctors will prescribe you painkillers after surgery.
- Loss of sensitivity: It may occur after anesthetic. Sensitivity should gradually return.
- Drain tubes: In some cases, surgical drains will be installed in order to prevent fluid from accumulating at the surgery areas. Your doctor should remove them the next day or the second day after surgery.
- Difficulties moving hands (especially after armpit incision). Gradually, your hands’ movement will return to normal.
- Sore throat: Anesthesia uses a tube that can slightly damage the throat. Sore throats usually go away a week later.
- When will the scars disappear after plastic surgery?
- Depending on the location of the operation and the physiological features of each person, scars should fade away after a month or two. Gradually, they will become the color of your skin and won’t be visible. At Medical Avenue, we recommend having laser procedures after the surgery (we can provide them for free in some cases).
It is necessary to strictly follow the doctor’s advice after surgery and take all prescribed medications to reduce the risk of side effects and inconveniences. Medical Avenue is not responsible for the outcome of any plastic surgery procedure at any point. This information should be taken as a reference and it is NOT meant to be a medical advice of any kind. The clinic and doctor of your choice should provide you additional information directly related to your case. Our medical coordinators are alway available to assist you!
- Coronavirus in Korea
- Preparation and post-operative care for anti-aging and facelift
- Preparation and post-operative care after mammoplasty
This post is also available in: Русский (Russian)