Cancer treatment in South Korea
According to the 2017 statistics, South Korea has the highest rate of 5-year survival rates in thyroid, prostate and breast cancer (100.1%, 94.1%, 93.2% respectively), as well as in treatment for kidney (83.1%), stomach (76.5%) and bowel (75%).
Every year more and more foreign patients choose South Korea for treatment or examination.
Why do more people trust specialists from South Korea?
- High survival rate
Statistics from 2017 showed that South Korea has a higher percentage of 5-year survival rates of the 5 most common cancers (stomach, colon, liver, breast and cervical cancers) compared to the U.S., Canada and Japan.
- Advanced treatments and equipment
Medicine does not stand still, every year Korea produces new drugs and equipment for the treatment of various diseases.
Immunotherapy drugs undergo numerous tests and are actively introduced into the treatment of oncology. At the moment, several immunotherapy drugs have been registered in South Korea, which give great hope treating oncology.
Proton therapy is also in high demand among both local patients and foreigners.
Surgical equipment is constantly updated to reduce postoperative risks, side effects and improve cosmetic effect. In 2018, for example, Koreans began using the single-port robot-assisted surgical system “da Vinci”. This system allows operations to be carried out through 1 small incision.
- High professionalism of medical staff
All the doctors we recommend have been trained in South Korea or the United States. Internships in the United States, Europe or Japan, and special training in dealing with foreign patients is common. Many nurses are also trained and accredited by U.S. standards.
- Affordable prices
The cost of screening and treatment in South Korea is lower compared to the United States and Europe. Additionally, in South Korea patients do not have to make a deposit in advance for the entire course of the proposed treatment, as in Europe. This reduces the economical burden.
- Comprehensive approach
At Korean hospitals, medical departments build teams of work to treat all cases. This method brings doctors, pharmacists, specialized nurses together for better outcomes. There is also psychological support, various training programs for both patients and their loved ones.
FAQ: Information about cancer treatment in South Korea
Cancer treatment in Korea is subject to international protocols. All medicines are approved by the Korea Food and Drug Administration. Every year they release new medicines, introduce advanced methods and technologies for cancer treatment.
Korea is trying not just to follow others, but conducting its proprietary tests and developing new treatments for cancer.
The following treatments are used for cancer treatment:
– Surgical treatment
– Chemotherapy, including targeted and immunotherapy
– Hormone therapy
Depending on the diagnosis and condition of the patient, doctors recommend one single method or combined.
The process of preparing consultations and the arrival is as follows:
1. It is necessary to send all available medical records, CT scans, MRI, PET-CT (the coordinator will explain in detail how to send medical images). Medical Avenue processes your documents and makes an official request to hospitals.
2. After reviewing the information, the selected doctor provides his assessments and recommendations. This stage can be omitted if you immediately plan to come for examination/treatment without waiting for the doctor’s opinion.
3. As soon as you decide to come and decide your approximate travel dates, Medical Avenue will book an outpatient appointment with the professor selected.
Our staff helps you book the hotel and sends the required documents with the schedule and general information.
4. On the day of arrival, our staff greets you at the airport and helps with the hotel check in or immediately takes you to the hospital for the consultation.
5. After the initial consultation with the professor. The main doctor makes the appointments for examinations. Those results will determine your treatment.
– Prostate cancer treatment
– Breast cancer treatment
– Stomach cancer treatment
– Lung cancer treatment
– Osteosarcoma treatment
– Liver cancer treatment
– Thyroid cancer treatment
– Colon cancer treatment
– Cervical cancer treatment
– Pancreatic and bile cancer treatment
– Kidney cancer treatment
– Esophageal cancer treatment
– Skin cancer treatment
– Soft tissue cancer treatment
– Testicular cancer treatment
What hospitals does Medical Avenue offer you?
Medical Avenue cooperates with more than 40 clinics in South Korea. These are multi-disciplinary level 1 hospitals, other multidisciplinary and specialized hospitals, traditional Korean Medicine clinics, plastic surgery clinics, etc.
Of the 378,967 people treated in Korea in 2018, 21.3% chose Level 1 hospitals for therapeutic treatment, including oncology, surgery and other treatments.
After years of work and thousand of patients, Medical Avenue has gathered relieable data to validate and recommend specific doctors to treat different types of cancer.
Almost all of our recommended professors work at Level 1 hospitals, as they are given more time and resources for clinical trials, new equipment and advanced treatment.
This post is also available in: Русский (Russian)