Severance Hospital (Yonsei University) was established by Dr. Horace N. Allen established in 1885 with the name of Royal Hospital Kwang Hye Won. Back then, it was the first medical institution in Korea. Throughout the last 133 years, this medical center has been the medical reference for locals. Moreover, for the last 8 years, it is a top choice for foreign patients.
The medical complex has the Cancer Center (renewed 6 years ago). It also has the Rehab, Cardiovascular, ENT and Children’s Hospital. There is an International Healthcare Center and an Emergency Care Center. The whole facility has over 3,500 beds and receives more than 4 millions patients yearly (outpatients and inpatients).
Severance Hospital is also known for the top medical students that every year graduate from Yonsei University medical school. Medical research, in collaboration with the university, is a key factor for the high level of medical expertise.
Centers of excellence inside Severance Hospital:
- Pediatric Hema-Oncologic Clinic: Foreign children and families from the CIS region, Middle East, GCC Region and East Asia come into this center looking for solutions to rare cancer conditions. The clinic has two branches:
1) Department of Oncology – Leukemia, Brain tumor, lymphoma and sarcoma treatments.
2) Department of Hematology – aplastic anemia, hemophilia and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
(note link it with news post) Find more about bone marrow transplantation and stem cell transplantation in South Korea.
- Ophthalmology Center: Treatments available for cataract, glaucoma, uveitis, corneal ulcer, retinal angiopathy in hypertension, astigmatism, basioma and other eye conditions.
- Cancer center (Oncology center): 9 floors-building with the latest technology and top oncology specialists. Laparoscopic surgery, DaVinci Robot surgery, tomotherapy, radiotherapy, chemotherapy are available.
- Health Check up Center (medical tests programs)
Top doctors at Severance Hospital that Medical Avenue has direct access to:
- Dr. Rah Geun-ho: Prostate cancer, DaVinci Robot surgery)
- Dr. Chuhl-joo Lyu, Kim: Hema-oncologic Center Head Doctor, bone marrow transplantation and stem cell transplantation